Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Raccoon's First Year by Dorcas MacClintock

This is a non-fiction book, written for mid-late elementary readers, about the first year of the life of an abandoned baby raccoon who is rescued and cared for by humans until she can return to the wild. All of the images in the book are real-life pictures taken throughout the year.
I would keep this book in my classroom because it contains a lot of information about raccoons- their diet, habits, demeanor, etc. Although raccoons are a common animal in many cities I realized after I read this book that I did not really know much about them. Understanding and learning more about your environment and the animals that inhabit the same places as you is always important... and the adorable pictures are sure to keep the students interested throughout the story.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the point you made about learning more about our environment. It's true, there are so many things around us that we know so little about! I hadn't really thought about this either... but I think most children really love to learn about everything around them and it is a good idea to foster that curiosity so it continues throughout their lives. Plus, it's always fun for us as adults to learn about things like that, too :)

    ReplyDelete