Friday, March 26, 2010

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

This book is probably the most famous of the seven in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. A new film version of the book had pretty good success at the box office in 2005. This is the first of the Chronicles of Narnia that I ever read and I think it is what got me interested in the series. This book tells the story of how Lucy and her siblings first discover the world of Narnia through a portal in their wardrobe. The children eventually help the Narnians end the 100 year winter, a curse put upon them by the White Witch of Narnia.
I think this is a good book for children to read because it has lots of lessons and values for children to learn, for example the conflict between Edmund and his siblings when he deserts them for the White Witch and how he eventually realizes his mistake and comes round.
My main complaint with the book is the overt Christian symbolism... like when Aslan is put to death by the White Witch and then comes back from the dead. Stuff like this kind of falls flat with me because I am not religious and think all the symbolism can be overdramatic and tiresome.

No comments:

Post a Comment