Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Shut Eye Train by Eugene Fields


This is one of my favorite illustrated poetry books for children. This is because I grew up listening to my dad read me these poems. Most of the poems in this collection are about dreams. The content of the poems will greatly appeal to most children because they are written for children... the poems are about not just good dreams (sugar plum trees, mermaids, etc.) but also nightmares and overactive night time imaginations.

The book is also illustrated with beautiful, enticing colored pencil drawings. I remember getting the book out many times just to look at the pictures of the sugar plum tree and candy raining down on waiting children. I would recommend this book as a bedside read in order to get children excited about the dreams that await them...it certainly worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment